Life Story (Part-5)
The Real Life Story of a Rural Man
“Facing danger on the battlefield is difficult. But sometimes the hardest battles are not fought against an unknown enemy; they are fought within our own families.”
After serving in the Bangladesh Army for many years, I gained not only rank and experience, but also something far more valuable—the discipline, honesty, patience, and sense of duty that Army life had instilled in me.
Every challenge I faced made me stronger, and every sacrifice gave my life a greater sense of purpose.
Looking back, I remain proud that I had the opportunity to wear the uniform of my country and serve with honor.
A Mission Beyond Borders
Through dedication, discipline, and hard work, I received several promotions during my military career.
While serving as a Sergeant, I received one of the greatest honors of my career: I was selected to serve in a United Nations peacekeeping mission in Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast).
It was an opportunity I had never imagined.
Leaving my family behind was extremely difficult, but I understood that serving under the United Nations was not only a personal achievement. It was also an opportunity to represent Bangladesh on the international stage.
I served in Côte d’Ivoire for approximately one year. During much of that time, the country was experiencing political instability and armed conflict.
Every day carried a sense of uncertainty. At night, the sound of distant gunfire could sometimes be heard in the darkness. We remained alert because we never knew what situation the next day might bring.
Despite the uncertainty, we continued to perform our duties with discipline and courage.
An Unexpected Accusation
As a member of the Bangladesh Army, I served at the Sector Headquarters as part of a team of 11 Bangladeshi peacekeepers.
We lived in the same general area as soldiers from Morocco, Nigeria, and several other countries.
The rooms of the Moroccan soldiers were located next to mine.
One evening, after dinner, I was sitting on a bench in front of my room. Everything around me was quiet, and I was simply resting after a long day of duty.
Suddenly, a thief entered the room of the Moroccan soldiers and stole a watch and some money before escaping.
Because I had been sitting in front of my room at the time, suspicion fell on me.
An investigation board was formed. I was questioned and treated as a suspect. It was even decided that if the accusation were proven, I would be sent back to my country.
As an innocent person, the emotional pain I experienced during that time is difficult to describe.
That afternoon, I performed two rak'ahs of voluntary prayer and sincerely prayed to Almighty Allah:
“O Allah, You know the truth. Protect me from this false accusation and reveal the truth.”
By the mercy of Allah, everything changed the very next day.
The same thief returned and attempted another theft. This time, he was caught. During questioning, he confessed to the previous day's theft as well.
The investigation then made it clear that the accusations against me were completely unfounded.
That day, I realized something important:
The truth cannot remain hidden forever. Human judgment can be wrong, but Allah's judgment is never wrong.
Patience, honesty, and my trust in Allah helped me come through that difficult situation with my honor intact.
Even today, that incident remains one of the most memorable experiences of my peacekeeping mission.
It taught me that no matter how difficult a situation becomes, remaining committed to the truth and placing our trust in Allah can give us the strength to endure it.
Thousands of Miles from Home
Being thousands of miles away from home, I often thought about my family.
I missed my wife deeply. I missed my younger son.
There were many quiet nights when I lay awake wondering how they were doing. Although I wore the uniform of a soldier, I was also a husband and a father.
Like every soldier serving far from home, I carried my family in my heart wherever I went.
Even in a difficult environment, I never lost faith.
Every day began and ended with prayers—for my fellow peacekeepers, my family, and the people we had gone there to protect.
That mission taught me that peace never comes without a price.
Peace is built through courage, patience, sacrifice, and hope.
Saying Goodbye to the Uniform
After several decades of honorable military service, I retired from the Bangladesh Army with the rank of Warrant Officer.
The day I folded my uniform and put it away for the last time remains unforgettable.
It was not simply the end of a professional career. It was the closing of one of the most meaningful chapters of my life.
As I looked at the uniform that had shaped my identity for so many years, countless memories came flooding back:
The exhausting training.
The lifelong friendships.
The difficult postings and missions.
The sacrifices made along the way.
And above all, the pride of serving my country.
I knew that I was leaving the Army, but I also knew that the values it had taught me would remain a part of me forever.
A Dream of a Peaceful Life
After retiring from my long military career, I had only one great hope—to live a peaceful life with my family in my village.
After spending so many years away from home, I dreamed of quiet mornings, family gatherings, and a simple life surrounded by the people I loved.
But reality did not allow that dream to come true completely.
When I returned to the village, I saw that local politics and various social disputes had made life increasingly unsettled.
Some influential and middle-class people were involved in disagreements over leadership positions in different institutions, including mosque committees and school management committees.
These disputes often created tension throughout the village.
I never became involved in village politics. I did not belong to any particular side or group.
I believed that, as a retired soldier, remaining neutral and living a peaceful life was the best choice for me.
However, even after remaining neutral, some people eventually tried to humiliate me socially. They spread false and insulting rumors about me with the intention of damaging my reputation and dignity.
These false accusations caused deep emotional pain to both me and my family.
Still, I believed that the truth would eventually come to light.
People may temporarily resort to lies, but I believe that, in the end, honesty and truth will prevail.
So, despite all the difficulties, I remained patient and placed my trust in Allah, believing that He is the best Judge.
A Soldier Never Truly Retires
Although I was leaving military life behind, the values it had taught me would remain with me forever.
A soldier may retire from his duties.
But honor, discipline, and responsibility never retire.
The uniform may be put away, but the character shaped by years of service stays with a person for the rest of his life.
Dreaming of a Peaceful Future
Like many retired people, I dreamed of a peaceful and beautiful future.
After spending so much time away from home, all I wanted was to enjoy life with my family.
I imagined peaceful mornings, family dinners, and watching my children build successful lives of their own.
I thought that perhaps the hardest battles of my life were finally over.
But I was completely wrong.
Another difficult chapter was about to begin.
A Loss That Changed Everything
Only two years after my retirement, my father-in-law passed away.
His death left our entire family grieving.
He was an honest and respected man who had worked hard throughout his life.
We thought that after the period of mourning, the family would come together and support one another.
But something completely different happened.
His death became the beginning of a painful dispute that none of us had expected.
When Family Members Become Opponents
My father-in-law had five daughters and no sons.
Soon after his death, several of his relatives began claiming ownership of his property.
At first, these disagreements seemed like ordinary family discussions.
But gradually, those discussions turned into serious conflict.
Relationships that had once been built on trust slowly became filled with suspicion, conflict, and resentment.
People who had once sat together and shared meals now found themselves on opposite sides of a bitter dispute.
It was heartbreaking to witness.
The peaceful family life we had dreamed of suddenly became filled with emotional stress and uncertainty.
Eventually, approximately 1.75 acres of family land was forcibly taken over.
Choosing Justice Over Anger
I could have reacted in anger.
I could have chosen confrontation.
But my years in the Army had taught me an important lesson:
True strength is demonstrated through self-control.
Instead of choosing confrontation, we decided to take legal steps.
Respected members of the community organized several mediation meetings. For weeks, we sat around discussion tables, hoping that one of those meetings would finally restore peace.
Whenever it seemed that we had reached an agreement, another obstacle appeared.
The emotional pressure was becoming increasingly difficult.
Yet I refused to give up.
I believed that patience and a peaceful approach were better than allowing anger to control my decisions.
My Greatest Financial Sacrifice
After lengthy discussions, we finally reached an agreement.
To settle the dispute, we agreed to pay 1.6 million Bangladeshi taka (16 lakh taka).
I paid 1.4 million taka from my retirement savings.
The remaining 200,000 taka was generously provided by my two brothers-in-law.
That retirement fund was the result of years of sacrifice and hard work.
It was supposed to provide security for my family's future.
Instead, almost all of it was spent to protect what I believed was my wife's family's rightful property.
Financially, it was devastating.
Emotionally, it was even more difficult.
But I never regretted doing what I believed was right.
Money can be earned again.
But once honesty and moral integrity are lost, they cannot easily be recovered.
The Battle Was Not Yet Over
Even after the settlement, peace did not return immediately.
Threats and incidents of intimidation continued, and the emotional pressure remained.
For the first time in many years, I found myself thinking more about my family's safety than my own.
During my military career, I had faced many difficult situations.
But protecting my family from conflict became one of the greatest challenges of my life.
It reminded me that not every battle is fought with weapons.
Some battles must be fought with patience.
Some must be fought by standing firmly with the truth.
And some must be fought simply by refusing to surrender one's principles and values.
The Lessons I Learned
Military life taught me how to recognize an enemy on the battlefield.
But real life taught me an even harder lesson.
Sometimes, the deepest disappointments come from people we never expected to oppose us.
I also learned that seeking justice often requires sacrifice.
Standing up for what is right is rarely easy.
It may require you to give up your savings.
You may have to sacrifice your comfort.
You may even lose your peace of mind.
But at the end of the day, character is worth more than wealth.
Looking back today, I have no regrets.
I will always choose honesty over convenience, patience over anger, and integrity over wealth.
The struggles I faced after retirement taught me that a person's greatest strength is not the money he possesses or the position he holds.
It is the character he carries within himself.
And my journey was far from over.
To be continued.......
Thank You for Reading
I hope you enjoy this true Story.
Continue Reading : My Life Story - Part 6

No comments